Help for carers in claiming the right welfare benefit is an important part of our service. Our team of Support Workers have considerable expertise on benefits for carers. Carers Allowance, the main benefit specifically for carers is only payable when the person the carer looks after also gets a relevant benefit. We can therefore advise on Carers Allowance, Personal Independence Payments (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLS) and Attendance Allowance (AQA).
Carer Support Workers will help carers/the person they care for to fill in the application form. They will:
- help carers and the person they care for understand the questions within benefit claim forms.
- only write the information provided by the cared for person or their appointee, the carer.
- support the carer/person they care for to be open and honest about health conditions and the impact they have on day to day life.
If following our support the carer/person they care for is unhappy with the decision from Dept of Work and Pensions (DWP), the Support Worker will:
- support the carer/person they care for in contacting the DWP for a ‘mandatory reconsideration’ by writing a support letter and advising on further evidence that can be provided
- support the carer/ person they care for to appeal by completing the relevant form and making referral to the Leeds Welfare Rights Unit who will provide representation through the remaining appeal stage.
Contact our Advice Line on 0113 380 4300 for further information.