Most of the Carers Leeds team have responded to the Carers National Strategy consultation and Carers UK has announced their own extensive input into the creation of a new strategy. These are some of their top recommendations
- Carers Allowance needs to be raised and the amount of money you can earn and still receive Carers Allowance needs to rise year on year.
- A new government aim to make every workplace carer friendly and a new right to paid carers’ leave of between 5 – 10 days for carers in work.
- Increased funding for social care and funding to be available for carers’ breaks.
- Another look at carers’ assessments and support following assessments.
- A review of legal rights to support for those caring for disabled children under 18.
- A new duty on the NHS to put in place policies to identify carers and to promote their health and wellbeing.
- More support for former carers.
- New and earlier access to advice and information for carers and raising awareness around planning for care in later life.
- More accredited training for carers.
- A new focus on technological solutions to make life easier for caring.
We can wholeheartedly agree with these recommendations. Carers UK say that they have many more recommendations that they will submit.
There is still time to submit your ideas for the Carers Strategy on https://consultations.dh.gov.uk/carers/how-can-we-improve-support-for-carers